Re: systemd ignores / overrides 'shutdown -t' delay?

On 2015-09-12 at 18:36, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> The Wanderer:
>
>> It's still odd / bothersome that systemd's shutdown would see the
>> unsupported / unrecognized '-t' option and just proceed blithely
>> along, rather than erroring out on the presumption that a mistake
>> may have been made.
>
> It's an engineering choice, to not break existing scripts and
> documentation that use/give the -t option.  One can understand why
> people would make this choice.

I can certainly see the reasoning, though I'm not sure I wouldn't have
come down on the other side of that decision.

Wouldn't it at least make sense to print a message to the effect of
"warning, ignoring unsupported legacy option '-t'", with possibly a
brief comment about what to use in its place (if anything)? That would
have pointed me in the right direction more easily, I think, although I
still wouldn't have gotten there quickly. (That's on me, though.)

Not erroring out is one thing, but succeeding silently and giving
different (and potentially unexpected) behavior is another.

--
   The Wanderer