systemd ignores / overrides 'shutdown -t' delay?

The Wanderer:

I can certainly see the reasoning, though I'm not sure I wouldn't have come down on the other side of that decision.

I actually have done myself, on occasion.

The Wanderer:

Wouldn't it at least make sense to print a message to the effect of "warning, ignoring unsupported legacy option '-t'", with possibly a brief comment about what to use in its place (if anything)?

Yes, albeit that you won't see me agreeing with that misuse of the word "legacy", especially when the far better description as a "compatibility" option is right there in systemd already. But this silent behaviour of compatibility options, here and in several other of the alternative ways to run the "systemctl" program, is something to take up with the systemd people.