Re: Fwd: uprading from squeeze to jessie

On Friday 11 September 2015 10:55:24 Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> There should be some outcome if you change your software sources from
> squeeze to jessie, but I doubt about the core files.
> I read this in some other mail from the mailing list, which said to just
> change the software source and then run apt-get update followed by apt-get
> upgrade.
> Also, some mail said about backing up your data and the booting from iso
> image is the way.
> But make it sure before doing, as I have not done it practically yet!
> Good luck!

No, don't.  Jumping a version is deprecated.  If you want to upgrade rather
than reinstall you need to go Squeeze -> Wheezy -> Jessie (6 -> 7 -> 8).  And
be careful to read the release notes.  There was a gotcha fairly recently
with upgrades of< I htinbk, udev.

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> >         Hi.
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 11:39:07AM +0200, ikuzar RABE wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I would like to know if there is a way to upgrade my Debian 6 Squeeze
> >
> > Debian 8 Jessie in ONE STEP... (bypassing upgrade from 6 to 7).

The short answer is no.

> > I do not
> > find any
> >
> > > documentations for it.
> >
> > And I doubt that there will be any. Such upgrade is unsupported.

Quite.

Lisi