road warrior VPN with IPCop2

I am trying to understand the options for accommodating a "road warrior"
who, as a VPN client, needs to connect to one or more machines which
reside at the home office, in a LAN protected by a stand-alone firewall.
The road warrior is running Debian on a laptop.  The firewall protecting
the LAN is IPCop2.

After much searching with google and reading a number of documents, it
appears to me that there exist two approaches:

(1) The firewall can act as the VPN server; this allows the roadwarrior to
access the entire protected LAN.

(2) The VPN can bypass the firewall; in this case, one machine in the
protected LAN acts as the VPN server.

Either of these solutions is acceptable.

I do not know whether the use of IPCop2 simplifies or complicates the
situation; but the user strongly prefers to remain with IPCop2 rather than
to switch to another firewall.

I am having difficulty trying to reconcile the step-by-step procedures
which I have found for implementing VPN on Debian with the the
step-by-step procedures which I have found for implementing VPN on IPCop2.
 I am wondering if the two systems are compatible.

RLH