Re: adobe flash player in iceweasel does not work anymore in jessie

On Wed 09 Sep 2015 at 23:41:45 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 September 2015 20:31:50 Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> >
> > flashplayer-mozilla will install the same flashplayer as
> > flashplugin-nonfree. But there is a big difference between the
> > flashplayer what't installed in Chromium. Chromium is better in flash.
>
> And won't play Channel 4.

Are we sure, as Paul says, it is the same flashplayer? The plugin from
Adobe, which is what flashplugin-nonfree installs:

  brian@desktop:~$ ls -l libflashplayer.so
  -rw-rw-r-- 1 brian brian 17459332 Aug  7 19:50 libflashplayer.so

The plugin from flashplayer-mozilla:

  brian@desktop:~$ ls -l libflashplayer.so
  -rw-r--r-- 1 brian brian 17432460 Aug 11 18:14 libflashplayer.so

The md5sums are different too. Now, why is that and does it matter?
The respective packages are based on the same source.

  http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

identifies both plugins as the same version.

I am not claiming the file size difference implies different behaviour.

I would move the flashplayer-mozilla plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla out of
the way and substitute the flashplugin-nonfree one. What does that get
us for 4od and the iplayer?

> Nonetheless, flashplayer-mozilla works on my desktop and flashplugin-nonfree
> doesn't.  FOR THIS SPECIFIC CHANNEL.

Intriguing. Are the HAL packages installed?