Re: adobe flash player in iceweasel does not work anymore in jessie

On Wed 09 Sep 2015 at 14:28:57 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 September 2015 14:12:57 Brian wrote:

> > > Channel 4oD and channel 5 refuse to play.
> >
> > You have signed in successfully. Please describe what happens and what
> > you see on the screen when you try to watch a programme.
>
> All three boxen are  different.
> One just plays.  With flashplayer-mozilla.
> One I see an eternally turning white circle.
> One starts to play and then stops and refuses to go any further until I turn
> adblock off.  I have no adblock.  I have even installed adblock so that I
> could turn it off.  When that didn't work I uninstalled it again.

I have no explanations for the first and third experiences but can
reproduce the second one if I don't do what is described below.

> On the Jessie machine, I installed Pipelight.  I was wading through seeing
> whether I could do anything about the dependencies that are suggested as
> potential problems, when flashplayer-mozilla was suggested, so I tried it.
> >
> > > I'm so glad that you don't have problems.  That doesn't help me, and
> > > others I know, watch the programs I want to watch on my TV.
> >
> > No problem with 4od here on two machines.
>
> So that's three I know work.  One of mine and two of yours.  And I do in fact
> know of one or two others.  If you are saying that you have solved the
> problem, consistently, and you are very good at solving problems, in view of
> the number of people who struggle with this, it would be charitable to post
> your solution somewhere on line.

I've just did a completely new installation of flashplugin-nonfree on a
machine which had never seen it. Your eternally turning white circle is
what I get. My feeling is that this has something to do with protected
video on 4od.

  https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/flash-player-11-problems-playing.html

Installing hal, hal-info, libhal1 and libhal1-storage cures it for me
but you seem to have a more diverse set of issues.

For some reason which I cannot remember I got the debs from a Ubuntu
PPA. Maybe the Wheezy ones didn't work for me.