Re: How to Boot with LVM

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 5:40:04 AM UTC-5, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> ray a écrit :
> > On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 3:40:05 AM UTC-5, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> >>
> >> Did the Debian installer boot in EFI or BIOS/legacy mode ?
> >
> > The motherboard BIOS reports the Debian installation media as a UEFI USB.
> > The installer boot screen says UEFI and it is the same media used on the harddisk.
>
> Then could you clarify the following parts in your first post :
> ============================
> > I use a USB stick to load the second Debian.
>
> What do you mean by "to load" ? To /install/ the second Debian system on
> the SSDs or to /boot/ it once installed ?

Yes, that was a poor choice of words (to load).  I installed the secod Debian via the USB stick.

> > I have a lVM partition for the new installation.  When I select it, the
> > installer (in manual mode) says it is not bootable and go back to setup
> > to correct.  When I go back to setup, I don't see any way to do anything
> > but select a VG, dm, sdx, or HDD.
>
> In which part of the installer is this happenning ?
During installation, this is 'partition' in manual.
> I first thought you were talking about the boot device selection during
> the boot loader installation, but in UEFI mode the installer does not
> prompt about a boot device because there is no boot device. The
> bootloader is installed in an EFI system partition which should be
> formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 and mounted on /boot/efi (implicit if you
> select "use as EFI system partition).
> ============================
>
> > I had a Debian instance on the HD that worked fine and when I
> > installed a new instance on the SSD, neither would boot.
> >
> > So I rebuilt the HD instance, ran it to configure the SSDs, and again,
> > when installing to the SSDs, nothing will boot.
>
> This is where things go awkward with GRUB UEFI. UEFI boot is intended to
> make multiboot easier. This is quite true with different operating
> systems (e.g. Windows + Linux, or Debian + Ubuntu). Each system is
> supposed to install its own boot loader in a separate directory in the
> EFI boot partition and register it as an EFI boot entry with a fancy
> name so that it can be selected at boot time, either implicitly using
> priorities or manually through a boot menu displayed by the firmware.
That is an eye-opener.

> However it does not work this way if you install two copies of a Debian
> system with GRUB : the latter installation will overwrite and replace
> the former boot loader with its own, because the Debian installer always
> uses the same name "debian" for the directory in the EFI system
> partition and the EFI boot entry.
>
> If you intend to keep the hard disk containing the Debian system
> installed, you don't need to install another boot loader for the Debian
> system on the SSDs. The GRUB boot loader on the hard disk can boot
> another instance of Debian after detecting it with os-prober and
> rebuilding a new menu with update-grub to include it.
How does os-prober get initiated?  I ask this as it seems to use this method, I will boot up into the HDD instance, then boot into the SSD.  Can I rename the HDD boot loader before installing the second instance?  And if so, how?