Re: How to Boot with LVM

ray a écrit :

> AMD64 32G RAM
> sda, sdb 32GB + 32GB, RAID0 - md0, LVM, GParted shows 1MB reserved, 1 GB (EFI)
> sdc, sdd 64GB + 64GB, RAID0- md1, md127, LVM, GParted shows 1MB reserved, 1 GB (EFI)
> sde, sdf 120GB + 120GB, RAID0- md0, md126 LVM, GParted shows 1MB reserved, 1 GB (EFI)
                                ^^^^^
I guess you mean md2 ?

> sdg, sdh are 2 and 4 GB HD, sdg currently hosts debian8.+q++q
                      ^^^^
I guess you mean TB ? Hard to find 4 GB hard disks these days.

> md0-2 form a vg for the new debian8 as dom0 for a xen instance, md127
> is a vg, md126 is a vg.  md127 & 126 are for swap files.

Why use separate VGs for swaps ? Performance issues ?

> gdisk reports that the sda and sdb have gpt partitions.

You also report that they contain an EFI system partition. This is
required for booting a disk in UEFI mode (as opposed to legacy BIOS
mode, which benefits from a BIOS boot partition instead). If the system
boots in BIOS/legacy mode instead of native UEFI mode, you should
convert the EFI system partition into a BIOS boot partition or create a
BIOS boot partition in the 1 MB reserved space.

Did the Debian installer boot in EFI or BIOS/legacy mode ?
You can see it in different ways.

In BIOS mode :
- it displays the usual well known boot screen from ISOLinux
- assisted mode using the whole GPT disk creates a BIOS boot partition
- the "BIOS boot" partition type is available in manual mode on GPT disks
- in expert mode, GRUB (grub-pc) and LILO are available as the
bootloader and the installer prompts for the boot device

In UEFI mode :
- it displays a different boot screen from GRUB
- assisted mode using the whole disk creates an EFI system partition
mounted on /boot/efi
- the "EFI system" partition type is available in manual mode
- even in expert mode, only GRUB (grub-efi) is available as the
bootloader and the installer does not prompts for the boot device.

What is the boot mode of the already installed system ?

> I have attempted again to install a new debian8 on the LVM on RAID0
> for sda&b. I learned more about using the installer for portioning so I
> was able to get /boot on a RAID0 partition (outside of the vg).

If the installer booted in BIOS mode, what did you select as the boot
device during GRUB installation ?

> On rebooting, nothing would boot.  The screen message said to insert
> the media to boot from.

So the firmware does not see a boot disk. Did you remove the harddisks
containing the existing Debian installation ?