Re: Doing Dist-Upgrade or Such

On Sunday 06 September 2015 20:45:02 Joe wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 21:54:13 +0300
>
> David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> > >
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/08/msg01056.html
> > >

> > > David
> >
> > Thanks, but I know how to, do not want to, reinstall. Should not have
> > to do so.
> >
> > Thinking of moving the /var/tmp KDE stuff elsewhere and symlinking.
> > This takes up a large plurality, even majority of /var, not needed
> > before login and home is mounted. What about that?
>
> How close are you? If you upgrade, then clear the package cache, you
> minimise the amount of work a dist-upgrade needs to do and maximise the
> available space. If that isn't enough, you might manage to upgrade
> groups of packages rather than all in one go. If you have a GUI, you
> might find synaptic easier for that kind of work than aptitude or
> apt-get.
>
> You don't mention which distribution, but unstable certainly isn't in a
> position to fully dist-upgrade at the moment, so I wouldn't have
> thought that testing is either. After the g++ earthquake, we still have
> the KDE tsunami to deal with. Libreoffice also cannot be upgraded, but
> it has recently been in that state twice and recovered fairly quickly,
> so it probably isn't a problem. But certainly in unstable, quite a few
> packages which were stuck for a few weeks have now upgraded, and I
> shifted about fifty this evening.

I do an apt-get clear routinely. Just does not get me enough. Yes, unstable.
Problem is, longer I wait, the larger the upgrade gets. I am not doing dist-
upgrade but so much of the stuff is interrelated that very few smaller groups
of packages present themselves. I have about 500 meg available, just does not
quite cut it.

Libreoffice and Texlive are two large groups. One idea might be to sacrifice them
(I do not think I ever used the Tex), upgrade, and then reinstall the
libreoffice which should then reinstall without a zillion other things. Maybe
safer than playing with /var/tmp which is heavily subscribed by our favorite
systemd. A couple of other large but independent packages can also be not
upgraded, such as the html kde docs and such.