Re: Doing Dist-Upgrade or Such

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 21:54:13 +0300
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> On Sunday 06 September 2015 09:32:08 David Christensen wrote:
> > On 09/06/2015 02:55 AM, David Baron wrote:
> > > Now that the g++ business is largely behind us, want to start
> > > upgrading. Problem is that with that darned partitioning by the
> > > Debian installation, there is not enough room on /var to
> > > accomplish upgrade of such size.
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/08/msg01056.html
> >

> > David
>
> Thanks, but I know how to, do not want to, reinstall. Should not have
> to do so.
>
> Thinking of moving the /var/tmp KDE stuff elsewhere and symlinking.
> This takes up a large plurality, even majority of /var, not needed
> before login and home is mounted. What about that?

How close are you? If you upgrade, then clear the package cache, you
minimise the amount of work a dist-upgrade needs to do and maximise the
available space. If that isn't enough, you might manage to upgrade
groups of packages rather than all in one go. If you have a GUI, you
might find synaptic easier for that kind of work than aptitude or
apt-get.

You don't mention which distribution, but unstable certainly isn't in a
position to fully dist-upgrade at the moment, so I wouldn't have
thought that testing is either. After the g++ earthquake, we still have
the KDE tsunami to deal with. Libreoffice also cannot be upgraded, but
it has recently been in that state twice and recovered fairly quickly,
so it probably isn't a problem. But certainly in unstable, quite a few
packages which were stuck for a few weeks have now upgraded, and I
shifted about fifty this evening.

--
Joe