Re: Okay, that's too much now!

On Sat, 05 Sep 2015 22:40:11 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 09/05/2015 09:40 PM, Glenn English wrote:
> > On Sep 5, 2015, at 6:23 PM, Erik Lauritsen <eriklauritsen@yandex.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have been a Debian user for more than 15 years, when the "war" about systemd broke out I mostly ignored it, I just removed systemd from my systems because I don't like the implementation.
> >>
> >> Today I was setting up a new Debian system and wanted to remove systemd only to find our that the old tools "bsdutils" has been made dependent upon libsystemd0
> >>
> >> "This package contains the bare minimum of BSD utilities needed for a Debian system: logger, renice, script, scriptreplay, and wall. The remaining standard BSD utilities are provided by bsdmainutils."
> >>
> >> What the freaking !#¤"#¤"¤#"#%" are people doing!?
> >>
> >> Why the hell has this collections of utilities from FreeBSD been made dependent upon libsystemd0!?!?!?
> >>
> >> Freedom of choice my ass!
> > Lotsa freedom. One of my boxes is doing a major install of FreeBSD as we speak, so I can see if I can live with it. So far it seems a lot like Debian, except for iptables, the way their equivalent of /etc/init.d is done, and the funny names they call things in /dev...
> >
> The last time I looked--about 6 months ago--FreeBSD requires a file
> system that is not compatible with Linux or Windows; nothing can
> communicate with it. Has that changed? Or is there a way to install
> FreeBSD on an ext4 or NTFS file system, or some other fs that
> Linux can read? I'd like to try it out, but not at the expense of having
> a disk that nothing else can read, including GParted.

You can mount FreeBSD filesystems in Linux, you just need to set the
right ufstype argument, since it isn't detected automatically.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/85189/error-trying-to-mount-freebsd-ufs-partition-from-freenas

Also, apparently FreeBSD can read ext2 filesystems, but I haven't had
any experience with this

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/filesystems-linux.html