Re: laptop-suspend

On Sat, September 5, 2015 12:59 am, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 9/5/15, rlharris@oplink.net <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
>> Could the screensaver have anything to do with this?
> Nice catch. Having to take that second action of clicking an arrow key
> might/probably does involve screensaver but doesn't make sense intuitively
> to someone in my *cognitive* Shoes..
>
> And yet it DOES make sense because it's the computer coming out of
> suspension and back into the exact state it was in pre-suspend.
>
> EXCEPT.......
> That's when it then doesn't make sense to me. It shouldn't be doing
> *ANYTHING*, it shouldn't be revealing *ANYTHING* related to what's
> going on behind the locked screen else it rats out private, sensitive
> activity to a potential invader.

Having grown old sitting in front of a desktop, I always viewed suspend,
hibernate, etc., as nuisances; so even after acquiring a laptop, I never
have learned to use those features.  I could benefit from a tutorial on
them.

But perhaps the author of the hiberate, suspend, etc. code has a different
perspective than you on the matter of awakening the machine.

A simple example:  Say that you are on the highway using the "cruise
control" to maintain a speed of 70 mph.  The car to the right swerves into
your lane, and you stomp on the brake pedal to avoid a collision.  But
touching the brake pedal turns off the cruise control.  Now when you take
your foot off the brake pedal, should the cruise control automatically
re-engage and accelerate you back to 70 mph?

RLH