Re: laptop-suspend

On 9/5/15, rlharris@oplink.net <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> On Fri, September 4, 2015 11:12 pm, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>> I have to
>> push the hardware-based sleep button to start the waking process. After
>> that, most if not all times I have to then push something like my up
>> arrow
>> key for it to bring up the log in window.
>
> Could the screensaver have anything to do with this?

Nice catch. Having to take that second action of clicking an arrow key
might/probably does involve screensaver but doesn't make sense
intuitively to someone in my *cognitive* Shoes..

And yet it DOES make sense because it's the computer coming out of
suspension and back into the exact state it was in pre-suspend.

EXCEPT.......

That's when it then doesn't make sense to me. It shouldn't be doing
*ANYTHING*, it shouldn't be revealing *ANYTHING* related to what's
going on behind the locked screen else it rats out private, sensitive
activity to a potential invader. It's been a while since it happened,
but I've had it also *regularly* blip sensitive information on the
screen while still locked.

Information stayed up long enough for content currently being written,
worked on to be successfully viewed. Good example there would be both
an open Mousepad document and an open, very populated Libreoffice Calc
sheet.

That the screensaver running behind the locked screen is part of
having to hit the up arrow key to log back in says something similar
is still occurring. Uneducated kneejerk is it FEELS LIKE it's about
the last activity before suspend being presented, being viewable while
still under lock and key. I'd meant to address that here on the list
back when I was seeing it more, but it's one of those out of sight,
out of mind deals combined with Life in motion... *gah*

For Rick, in contemplating my answer to RLH here, I went in to my
Xfce4 Power Manager settings and nosed around. Maybe there's something
there that might help?

Especially now that I've written what I did above, maybe you don't
have screensaver running but maybe you DO have yours set to turn off
the display completely after a certain period of time? Or something
like that...

If yours is doing anything similar to mine, maybe that would explain
you seeing a blank screen where I see a screensaver and other more
vital, vulnerable activities before I sign back in...

OR NOT...... *grin*

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey