Re: Can malware qualify as free software?

On 2015-08-31 at 11:25, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> The Wanderer:
>
>> Some people develop and distribute malware as free software. Do
>> they deserve to be treated with respect for doing that?
>
> I strongly suspect that malwares do not provide freedoms #1, #2, or
> #3 out of the Four Freedoms.

They don't provide them to the people on whose machines they get
installed, but those people are not the "users" of the malware.

The "users" of the malware are the people who deploy it. If a malware
toolkit is provided with source, and under a "modify and redistribute as
you see fit" license, I don't see how it fails any of the Four Freedoms.

--
   The Wanderer