Re: Why does Debian not recognize my USB3 disk drive?

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 09:34:41PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2015, at 9:12 PM, CaT <cat@zip.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 08:21:26PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> >> Am I missing a driver for the USB3 card?
> >> Are some USB3 chipsets not supported?
> >> Am I missing something important?
> >
> > Does 'dmesg' show that the drive is seen and a /dev device is allocated
> > to it when you plug it into the USB3 card?
>
> There is no /dev allocated to the disk drive when plugged into the USB3 board.

Three possibilities IMO:

* cable too dodgy for USB3 but not dodgy enough for USB2 to fail :)
* card is dodgy (do you know that it actually does work?)
* drivers are dodgy (can happen - is there a newer kernel you can try?)

--
  "A search of his car uncovered pornography, a homemade sex aid, women's
  stockings and a Jack Russell terrier."