Can someone recommend a working USB3 PCI or PCIe card? [Was Re: Why does Debian not recognize my USB3 disk drive?]

On Aug 30, 2015, at 10:17 PM, CaT <cat@zip.com.au> wrote:

> Three possibilities IMO:
>
> 1) cable too dodgy for USB3 but not dodgy enough for USB2 to fail :)
> 2) card is dodgy (do you know that it actually does work?)
> 3) drivers are dodgy (can happen - is there a newer kernel you can try?)

Since I get the same symptoms with a WD external disk (with manufacturer supplied USB3 cable), a USB3 FLASH thumb-drive (no cable) and a USB2 FLASH thumb-drive (again, no cable), I’m going with either #2 or #3 here.

To eliminate #2, I guess I’ll need a different USB3 interface card.  Can someone recommend a good one?  This machine has free PCI-X and PCIe slots that I could use.  PCI-X slots are (according to wikipedia) compatible with PCI cards.  The PCIe slot is “x1”.

To investigate #3, I’ve started a different thread on the subject of “What USB3 chipsets are supported by the Jessie kernels?”

Thanks!
Rick