Re: Another system management tool to disappear.

On 08/30/2015 05:00 PM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> On 29/08/2015 8:49 AM, T.J. Duchene wrote:
> <snip rubbish>

Really? Just because you disagree with somebody, their opinion is
"rubbish"?

> Read Lennart's own blog, you'll see that he is "in the business" of
> making Linux his own; thus my coined phrase "Lennart's Linux".

It's really sad to see that so many people assume bad faith on the
other side of an argument, just because you disagree with them.

It's also quite patronizing to those of us who don't share your
extreme dislike of systemd, because if you think about it: what you are
in fact impliying is that all who are not opposed to it have given up
our free will to a single upstream developer. Do you really want to go
so far and say that?

> And ANYONE whom speaks against systemd is, quite simply, just like one
> who utters the name Voldermort in the Harry Potter story.  Both are
> just as evil, but one is purely fictional.

Again with the rhetoric...

As I said elsewhere in this thread to somebody else: it's fine not to
like systemd, it's fine not to like that Debian made it the default
init system, it's fine not to want to use Debian anymore because of
that, it's fine to express that opinion here.

But seriously, comparing a free software project to a mass-murderer,
even a fictional one? Not OK. (And it doesn't help at all if you are
even remotely interested in convincing people.)

Also, seriously, the other part of the analogy? Do you want me to
remind you what actually happened in the story? The part about people
being utterly terrified for their lives? The part about people who
uttered that name and were caught were physically (!) tortured? Put in
prison? That their families were threatened, sometimes also tortured
and even murdered?

When has something even remotely comparable happened to somebody
opposed to systemd? The worst that has happened was that people got
banned from discussion platforms because of abusive behavior. Nobody
opposed to systemd was ever physically threatened because of their
opinion.

On the contrary: Lennart has received threats to his own life and
well-being because of his work on systemd (and to a presumably
lesser extent also for his work on PulseAudio).

I've seen cases where people working on systemd upstream were very
opinionated and headstrong, even slightly abrasive and dismissive at
times. But I've NEVER seen them stoop to the level of rhetoric that
I've seen in this thread (and others) by opponents of the project -
and given that you aren't threatening anybody, your behavior is very
far from the worst that I've seen coming from those opposed to
systemd.