Re: Adapter Names on Stretch

On Sat, 2015-08-29 at 00:24 -0700, Matt Ventura wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 11:32 PM, Tixy wrote:

> >> I think you can delete the file and it will get regenerated on boot.
> >> Well, it used to be that way, probably best to save a copy first in case
> >> it doesn't work that way any more.
> > It does on Jessie. Just been bringing up several boards using the same
> > filesystem image and needed to do this myself. Which reminds me, I
> > should add a command to rc.local to delete all udev rules at boot. (Idea
> > is that I can swap out boards if they fail and keep the same disk image
> > - which is on SD card).
> >
> You can also just delete the udev rule that generates the persistent
> interface names to begin with.

My first thought was that the rule would re-appear if udev package gets
updated. But anyway, I grepped /usr for 70-persistent-net.rules and got
a hit in /usr/share/doc/libudev1/README.Debian which says:

        To disable persistent naming of network interfaces, create an
        empty
        /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules file to
        override
        the one in /lib/udev/rules.d/ and delete
        /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

So,

  touch /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules

job done :-)

Thanks for the clue.

--
Tixy