Re: Adapter Names on Stretch

On 08/28/2015 08:39 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Thursday 27 August 2015 19:01:32 Chris Bannister wrote:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 11:58:03PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
Le nonidi 9 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Renaud OLGIATI a écrit :
An added advantage is that on the day you replace your Ethernet NIC
because it was fried by lightning, and put a new one in its stead, your
network config will be buggered as the system will givethe new NICt
a name different from the one assigned to the old one, since it will
have a different MAC address..,

Indeed, after two hours fiddling with firmwares hoping this is a software
problem, then cables and hubs to find where the problem exactly is, then
one hour and a half riding the subway to the other side of town where the
shops that have discrete network cards nowadays are, and finally after
you ruined six months uptime to shutdown and install the newly-bought
card, editing a small config file is really the straw that broke the
camel's back.

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad.

Chris, what happened to your sense of humour? ;-)  This isn't like you!

From my own experience, if you replace a network card, udev will automagically name it /dev/eth +1 so eth0 becomes eth1. I'm using eth1 right now. Bugs the hell out of me but the network works, :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html