Re: Adapter Names on Stretch

On 8/28/2015 11:32 PM, Tixy wrote:
On Sat, 2015-08-29 at 10:06 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:22:58AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
Quoting Ric Moore (wayward4now@gmail.com):

 From my own experience, if you replace a network card, udev will
automagically name it /dev/eth +1 so eth0 becomes eth1. I'm using
eth1 right now. Bugs the hell out of me but the network works, :)
That's because you didn't clear the previous card's eth0 entry in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules before you booted up
the new card.
I think you can delete the file and it will get regenerated on boot.
Well, it used to be that way, probably best to save a copy first in case
it doesn't work that way any more.
It does on Jessie. Just been bringing up several boards using the same
filesystem image and needed to do this myself. Which reminds me, I
should add a command to rc.local to delete all udev rules at boot. (Idea
is that I can swap out boards if they fail and keep the same disk image
- which is on SD card).

You can also just delete the udev rule that generates the persistent
interface names to begin with.

Matt Ventura