"mountpoint: not found" Boot Messages and Broken X

Running Debian Jessie on a desktop and did an upgrade Sunday night. Everything continued working fine, although I don't think I rebooted at all. Last night went to boot and I get a ton of "mountpoint: not found" messages during boot.

After boot the console login displays for a fraction of a second then the screen goes black in place of displaying the LXDE login splash screen. There is video output however, because the monitor does not go into sleep mode. I also have no indication of keyboard or mouse input being received including no Caps Lock or Num Lock light when pressed.

The computer is running normally as I can ssh in and work normally. Through some searching I found a possible culprit is the display driver causing an issue. I tried booting with "nomodeset" to no avail. I am able to get back to the consoles by connecting via ssh and killing Xorg at which time I can switch to a tty and login, otherwise I am not able to use them.

The following is a short list of the first messages shown during boot:
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
*trimmed content by me*
Init: version 2.88 booting
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
/etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh: 247: /etc/init.d/kernfs.sh: mountpoint: not found
/etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh: 247: /etc/init.d/kernfs.sh: mountpoint: not found
/etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh: 247: /etc/init.d/kernfs.sh: mountpoint: not found
mount: proc is already mounted or /proc busy
       proc is already mounted on /proc
/etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh: 247: /etc/init.d/kernfs.sh: mountpoint: not found
mount: sysfs is already mounted or /sys busy
       sysfs is already mounted on /sys
/etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh: 247: /etc/init.d/kernfs.sh: mountpoint: not found
/etc/init.d/udev: 166: /etc/init.d/udev: mountpoint: not found
/etc/init.d/udev: 13: /etc/init.d/udev: mountpoint: not found
/etc/init.d/udev: 17: /etc/init.d/udev: mountpoint: not found
[ ok ] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd.
[ ok ] Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.

I had to type these by hand from a quick video I took during boot as I couldn't find anything in the logs, so let me know if you need more.

Interestingly I do see the following further along:
[ ok ] Starting enhanced syslogd: rsyslogd.
/etc/init.d/dbus: 53: /etc/init.d/dbus: mountpoint: not found
[fail] Can't start system message bus - /proc is not mounted ... failed
[ ok ] Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
[ ok ] Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
[ ok ] Starting Light Display Manager: lightdm.