Re: "mountpoint: not found" Boot Messages and Broken X

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 05:51:48AM -0700, brett.friermood@gmail.com wrote:
> Running Debian Jessie on a desktop and did an upgrade Sunday night. Everything continued working fine, although I don't think I rebooted at all. Last night went to boot and I get a ton of "mountpoint: not found" messages during boot.
>
> After boot the console login displays for a fraction of a second then the screen goes black in place of displaying the LXDE login splash screen. There is video output however, because the monitor does not go into sleep mode. I also have no indication of keyboard or mouse input being received including no Caps Lock or Num Lock light when pressed.
>
> The computer is running normally as I can ssh in and work normally. Through some searching I found a possible culprit is the display driver causing an issue. I tried booting with "nomodeset" to no avail. I am able to get back to the consoles by connecting via ssh and killing Xorg at which time I can switch to a tty and login, otherwise I am not able to use them.
>
> The following is a short list of the first messages shown during boot:
> fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
> *trimmed content by me*
> Init: version 2.88 booting
> [info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
> /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh: 247: /etc/init.d/kernfs.sh: mountpoint: not found
[cut]

"mountpoint" is a utility which reports if a given path is a mountpoint.
It would appear that this utility is missing. As you can SSH in, try
re-building the initramfs (update-initramfs -u -k all) and, if there are
no errors, try rebooting.

--
For more information, please reread.