Re: 40 xrdp makes VM crawl (was thin client xdmcp setup)

On 25/08/15 23:56, Rusi Mody wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 12:40:05 PM UTC+5:30, Stuart Longland wrote:
>>
>> On 25/08/15 12:28, Rusi Mody wrote:
>>> I am teaching python (and some other related stuff) Students
>>> connect with a thin client that connects to the linux VM. The thin
>>> clients have the usual options - shell (ssh) - windows (rdp) -
>>> XDMCP
>>
>> Well, you've got two options there, one is to use XDMCP, the other is
>> to install xrdp on the server and use that.  I realise you're looking
>> for XDMCP as the solution, but just pointing out the other is an option.
>
> Ok xrdp is the ticket -- Thanks!
>
> And now... [different question, so subject changed]
>
> With 40 xrdp logins the VM crawls.
> How to performance monitor it?
> ie is it disk or ram or CPUs or ... that needs to be increased?

top, iotop or vmstat may give you some clues.  It's worth noting that
xrdp uses VNC behind the scenes, which isn't the most CPU-efficient.
XDMCP may perform better, so both are worth looking into, particularly
if xrdp is performing poorly.

The places where I've been using xrdp have been in situations where
we've had no more than about 3 users simultaneously, and xrdp was chosen
because it makes life easier for the Windows users to access a box.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.