Re: From wheezy to stretch: can't start X session when logging in from kdm

On 08/23/2015 01:19 PM, Ldten K wrote:
On Sun, 8/23/15, Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

It's a bug, https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=796098

It may be the same issue though I'm not sure why I was getting the error about missing /home/luser/.Xsession file. I manually copied /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession file as /home/luser/.Xsession but that can't be a part of the normal installation procedure. Even stranger, wheezy was able to start KDE from kdm just fine without any .Xsession / .xsession file in my home dir.

Any ideas? Thanks

While kdm still works in upstream stretch/testing, I've been told it is no longer being supported by systemd and has been replaced with sddm, but if you want to see your desktop currently you need to follow the instructions I gave you. For plasma 5 questions the best place to go is linux.debian.maint.kde, I'm trying to help the best I can.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian - Wheezy - KDE 4.8.4 - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda1
Registered Linux User #380263