Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Quoting Vincent Lefevre (vincent@vinc17.net):
> On 2015-08-19 12:55:39 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Quoting Vincent Lefevre (vincent@vinc17.net):
> > > In general, one wants NO-BREAK SPACE to be displayed just like a space.
> >
> > Why would I want a character that doesn't behave as a space to be
> > displayed as a normal space? (For example, in the shell, as in the
> > OP's original question.) It seems a recipe for confusion at best,
> > and for exploits at worst.
>
> When reading a text, such as an e-mail message, a HTML document, or
> a ReadMe file, one doesn't expect a difference. Otherwise this would
> be disturbing.

Yes, that's what I wrote yesterday in this sub-thread: "Documents
generally are [in a typographical context] because they are
displayed/printed." which was in answer to "But the typographical
purpose of NO-BREAK SPACE is to look like space without inviting an
automatic line break." [You commented on this very sub-thread at
Fri, 21 Aug 2015 02:15:50 +0200, five minutes after this comment.]

Your "e-mail message, a HTML document, or a ReadMe file", these are
all examples of typographical documents. A shell script, (excluding
literals) and the hand-typed input to a shell are not in a
typographical context.

Cheers,
David.