Re: Antivirus for Debian

Hi,

another reason for av is PCI compliance (yes you are targeting
software for windows mainly).

In a large company I worked for previously a user recieved a mail with
some pics, downloaded and clicked around which ended up with their pc,
and every mount point from their pc having the files encrypted (ransom
fee for decryption). (a windows box that had mount points to windows
and linux servers).

If your running a mailserver you should run av (clamav is the only
linux one i've used although there has been some good press over
sophus linux av recently), you never know who you may forward mail to.

On a linux mailserver you'll want spamassasin and clamd (even if
spamassasin is only marking rather that removing).

If your running ecommerce platforms that collect payment info, there
is a PCI requirement that requires AV (live scanning, this can be
achieved with inotify and clamd combo), but it's overkill and alot of
wasted resource to tick a box.

Kind Regards,
Mike