Re: should I get rid of pulse audio ?

I am far from a guru, but I am a twenty-one year Linux user since Kernel
0.91.  Pulse audio has been, at least since Kernel 3.0, a pain in my
side.  I currently run Jessie 8.0 on both my Compaq desktop and my HP
laptop (64 bit AMD Sempron and Turion x2 respectively,) On both systems
Pulseaudio craps out the instant that I try to make any settings changes
at all.snf I have been unable to find out why in any reasonable period
of time.

The fact that someone here described the hughe CPU load that it causes
finally caused me to act.  it took me a half hour to totally eliminate
it and set up a complete alsa installation which is utterly reliable.  I
will not go back, even if pulseaudio is repaired and made less of a
system hog.

Being an experienced user and a retired sysop/lan/domain and ISSO
manager for many years (RTE-A, HP-UX, Ultrix, IRIX, QNX, Linux over the
years) but not a really good programmer, I rely on and prefer simple and
robust software.  Linux has been amazingly good for most of its life but
over the last few years it has begun to show serious signs of bloating.
I mean the sort of thing that Detroit did when they put tail-fins on
cars and the sort of unmentionable obscenities that came out of
Microsoft whenever they needed to generate more revenue, i.e., install a
bunch of new options and features in a software package that few people
needed, but which required changes which were incompatible with the last
version, thus forcing their customers to update to bloatware which
strained their old boxes enough to make them want to buy new ones.

My own opinion, for what it's worth, is to keep your system simple,
stupid, as the saying goes.

Ed