Re: pulseaudio module to mute other sources?

Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> writes:

> On 08/12/2015 10:46 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>> I'm reasonably confident there must be a better place to post this than
>> this newsgroup, so answers telling me where to look will be just as
>> welcome as any that address the question!  I'm a Debian user, so this is
>> where I'm trying first....
>>
>> Is there a pulseaudio module that will detect when an audio source isn't
>> silent, and mute other sources in that cases?
>>
>> It may be more clear if I describe my particular desire use case.  I
>> have a ham radio, whose audio output I can plug into my sound card
>> input.  I'd like to be listening to music, but when a call comes in on
>> the radio have it mute any other audio.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Joe -- Back in May we discussed pausing vlc with skype.  Your situation
> is not identical, but take a look at  /etc/pulse/default.pa  for ideas.
>  Wish I knew more about pulseaudio...
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/05/msg00643.html

It looks like that discussion is about whether or not skype should pause
multimedia players when a call comes in -- the usual behavior is it
does, and the poster was asking for a way to keep it from happening.

This is using the cork module, which will stop other streams when a new
stream starts; if I'm reading it correctly, skype creates a new stream
when a call comes.

Hmmm, this may be the start of an answer for me -- start a stream when
the input audio level gets above some threshold, end it after it dips
below...

(note the squelch discussion at
http://www.windytan.com/2013/07/squelch-it-out.html
doesn't start and stop the stream, it just replaces samples in the
stream with 0s, so that's not going to do it...)