Re: help trouble shooting

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:17:43 -0500
John Olson <is1eep262@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon, My name is John and I have ran into an issues when
> installing DEBIAN 8.1.0 (Jessie).  I have tried downloading and
> installing the firmware pkgs that it shows were not installed during
> initial install. I am new to Debian and I am trying to correct these
> following issues.
>
> says I need to install firmware for: *rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin* and also
> *rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw*
>
> When I do install these pkgs via (synaptic manager) they install fine
> but do not show any available wireless.. only allows Ethernet
> connection.  I have followed the WIKI Debian install information to
> the "T" and have found no solution.  If any information that could
> help with this situation is greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your
> time and consideration in reviewing my issue.

As the regulars know, my standard approach to 'difficult' hardware is
to run a recent Knoppix live cd/usb:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

While this can be installed to a hard drive, it is not maintainable,
so there's no real point in doing so. It is a speciality Debian-based
distribution, and its speciality is detecting and driving hardware.
There's a very good chance that it will deal with your hardware, and if
it doesn't, I'm sure Herr Knopper would like to know about it, so that
the next version will.

If it does work, then there's a bit of drudgework in comparing modules
and other wireless-related software, and studying the boot logs. It has
got things running for me five or six times, and I haven't yet found any
hardware it can't manage. It's based on Debian Unstable, which is the
alpha-level test distribution, but almost certainly, anything you find
you need which isn't in Jessie can be shoehorned in.

In the meantime, it's worth telling us what your hardware is, as
someone may already know the answer.

--
Joe