Re: Debian Gnome Or XFCE ?

On 14/08/2015, Seeker <seeker5528@comcast.net> wrote:
> Sorry for sending a response off list, I usually I double check the To
> field before hitting send, but that didn't
> happen this time.
>
> On 8/12/2015 9:09 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Since you have mentioned an "old" system, I should perhaps mention
>> that apparently, Linux has abandoned support for Celeron CPU's, as,
>> having installed ubuntu-mate 15.09 on my HP/Compaq NX5000 which has a
>> Celeron CPU, and the associated and subsequent problems, I have found
>> that the Celeron CPU's are apparently no longer supported by Linux, as
>> the kernels are incompatible with the Celeron CPU - a non-PAE issue,
>> apparently.
>
> This is one of those cases where you shouldn't make blanket statements,
> there are newer Celeron processors that work fine, without having to do
> anything special.
>
> Celerons are designed to be cheap, so are always cut down in some way or
> another compared to the rest of the
> Intel line up. From what I can find quickly on Google looks like Celeron
> M and Pentium M have the same issues
> reltive to current day expectations and the Linux kernel, and I did see
> that there was another reply with a link
> that may help you with that.
>
> Later, Seeker

The matter had been dealt with as much as it could, so far, and
clarified a bit, without resolution, between my message to which you
responded, and your response, which you would have seen, if you had
read the rest of the thread past my message to which you responded.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."