Re: Slow Xorg performance on dual Opteron + Radeon, Jessie 64-bit

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I'll summarise what further testing I've done:

I believe 3D acceleration is working. `glxgears` runs and seems to achieve a smooth 60 Hz. The __memcpy_sse2_unaligned load doesn't seem to increase due to running glxgears.

glxgears -info reports:

GL_RENDERER   = Gallium 0.4 on ATI R420
GL_VERSION    = 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2
GL_VENDOR     = X.Org R300 Project

Perhaps interestingly, `glxinfo -i` reports:

name of display: :0.0
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  56

I'm not using anything fancy in terms of desktop environment: just the Notion (formerly Ion3) window manager plus a few accessories.

Running `dpkg -S /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin` returns:
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin

Not sure where that firmware file would have originated from...it's possible I copied it from elsewhere when I first installed Jessie and forgot that I'd done it!

`lspci | grep -i vga`:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] R420 [Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition AGP]

`lsmod | grep video` returns nothing, but I do have the following:

radeon               1345162  2
ttm                    77862  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         49210  1 radeon
drm                   249955  5 ttm,drm_kms_helper,radeon

Out of curiosity, I did try installing firmware-linux-nonfree, and `dpkg -S /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin` now reports:
firmware-linux-nonfree: /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin

After rebooting, the sluggish redrawing and excessive time spent in Xorg/__memcpy_sse2_unaligned is still there. :(

Thanks again!
Chris