Re: Can't connect to the internet after "aptitude safe-upgrade"

On 8/2/2015 at 4:57 PM, "Tixy" <tixy@yxit.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 01:48 +0800, tan_ny@hushmail.com wrote:
>[...]
>> Running "ip route" gave
>>
>> 203.218.189.254 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src
>> 218.102.187.173
>
>On a computer running Debian 7 (Squeeze) which I have acting as a
>router
>and firewall, running "ip route" gives
>
>default dev ppp0  scope link
>62.3.84.19 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 82.69.122.217
>192.168.2.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.2.2
>
>The last line is for my internal network, the first 'default' line
>tells
>(I believe) the system where to send network packets that don't
>match
>any network IP address it knows about.
>
>If your non-working computer doesn't have this default, a Google
>search
>lead me to the following command to add it.
>
>  ip route add default dev ppp0
>
>though I assume that something in the Debian system should already
>take
>care of things like that.
>
>NY, I've just read you original email and notice you are running
>Debian
>sid. That's Software In Development and is the latest code
>currently
>been worked on by Debian developers and is unstable and where bugs
>are
>found and worked on. So, it's not something that the average use
>should
>really use, especially as in another email you say "Please help a
>non-techie".
>
>I run release version of Debian, because I want a system with a
>high
>chance of working and don't have the time to debug issues that
>always
>crop up when running the very latest, not fully tested, software.
>
>--
>Tixy
>

>--
>Archive:
>[🔎] 1438505848.2570.17.camel@yxit.co.uk">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 1438505848.2570.17.camel@yxit.co.uk

Running

ip route add default dev ppp0

solved the problem. Thank you very much!

Just out of curiosity, why would a upgrade make the default route disappear?

I ventured into sid without knowing the risks, probably 10 years ago or more. I don't remember the exact time. I never ran into serious problems except the last one. In my next installation of Debian I'll use the stable version.

Thanks again

NY