Re: Slow Xorg performance on dual Opteron + Radeon, Jessie 64-bit

On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 09:52:49PM +1200, Chris Edwards wrote:
> Hi Chris (ha, maybe I should have posted directly to the DunLUG list!)...
>
> On 02/08/15 18:39, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 05:55:11PM +1200, Chris Edwards wrote:
> >>I've recently installed Debian Jessie 64-bit on my (admittedly rather old)
> >>dual Opteron workstation, and I'm experiencing pretty bad performance in
> >>X11.
> >>[snip]
> >
> >I'm guessing it's a driver issue.
> >
> >What is the output of:
> >
> >apt-cache policy firmware-linux-nonfree
>
> firmware-linux-nonfree:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 0.43
>   Version table:
>      0.43 0
>         500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ jessie/non-free amd64 Packages
>

> Should I set things up for installing the firmware-linux-nonfree package?  I
> do already see this in the kernel messages:
>
> [   14.145030] radeon 0000:02:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware
> radeon/R420_cp.bin
>
> and /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin exists.

Hmmm, I wonder if that's the free stuff without acceleration.
I would install firmware-linux-nonfree and check the logs to see that
the nonfree version is loading.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, are you running GNOME? This seems
to *need* acceleration features to run properly.

So you could attack the problem from the other side of the fence and
install a desktop that doesn't require acceleration e.g. xfce, lxde etc.

The choice is of course, yours.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X