Re: Can't connect to the internet after "aptitude safe-upgrade"

On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 01:48 +0800, tan_ny@hushmail.com wrote:
[...]
> Running "ip route" gave
>
> 203.218.189.254 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src
> 218.102.187.173

On a computer running Debian 7 (Squeeze) which I have acting as a router
and firewall, running "ip route" gives

default dev ppp0  scope link
62.3.84.19 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 82.69.122.217
192.168.2.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.2.2

The last line is for my internal network, the first 'default' line tells
(I believe) the system where to send network packets that don't match
any network IP address it knows about.

If your non-working computer doesn't have this default, a Google search
lead me to the following command to add it.

  ip route add default dev ppp0

though I assume that something in the Debian system should already take
care of things like that.

NY, I've just read you original email and notice you are running Debian
sid. That's Software In Development and is the latest code currently
been worked on by Debian developers and is unstable and where bugs are
found and worked on. So, it's not something that the average use should
really use, especially as in another email you say "Please help a
non-techie".

I run release version of Debian, because I want a system with a high
chance of working and don't have the time to debug issues that always
crop up when running the very latest, not fully tested, software.

--
Tixy