Re: Slow Xorg performance on dual Opteron + Radeon, Jessie 64-bit

On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 17:55 +1200, Chris Edwards wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently installed Debian Jessie 64-bit on my (admittedly rather
>
> old) dual Opteron workstation, and I'm experiencing pretty bad
> performance in X11. Certain redrawing operations are extremely slow,
> with delays of half a second or more, and Xorg consumes a lot of CPU
> time. I've wondered if it's particularly a problem for older X
> clients
> using bitmapped fonts, as it's very noticeable when running xosview
> and
> when dragging tabs and invoking menus in Notion (window manager), but
>
> menu drawing in GIMP is also very slow.  The machine has 8 GiB of RAM

and only a couple are being used.  It was formerly running Ubuntu 12

Do you have working 3D acceleration?

If you are using GNOME (or a similar environment) it sounds like it's
falling back to using software 3D rendering.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson