Re: File check at boot

Quoting Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk>:

On 21/07/15 16:32, Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
Scenario: Mail/web server with file corruption. I have I/O errors on a
few blocks which results in regular (daily) server crashes (including
kernel panic) at random times during the day, usually afternoon CET. I
need to run fsck on the disks. I have grub2 installed on the server.

If you have "I/O errors on a few blocks", it seems to me that the hardware your virtual hosting provider uses to host your server is either defective, dying, or misconfigured, and you should address *that* as a matter of urgency.

The systemd-fsck service *should* run automatically, as far as I can tell from casual inspection of the relevant systemd unit files, but if you are actually getting *I/O errors*, fsck is not going to save you.

Thanks, I actually on one of the first calls said I saw OpenStack being mentioned in the kernel panic message so I actually wondered if it was my server or the hardware hosting the server. They (naturally) pointed to my server.
I'll mail them this reply (parts of) and see what happens.

/Martin S
***         This address is for technical email lists only            ***
***     Please use my primary mail address at the .org domain         ***
***                        in all other matters                       ***