Re: File check at boot

On 21 July 2015 at 10:32, Martin Skjöldebrand <martin@skjoldebrand.eu> wrote:
Hi,

Mail from desperate user here:

OS: Debian 8.1 Jessie

Scenario: Mail/web server with file corruption. I have I/O errors on a few blocks which results in regular (daily) server crashes (including kernel panic) at random times during the day, usually afternoon CET. I need to run fsck on the disks. I have grub2 installed on the server.

Catch: For some reason there is only one partition - yes I know this is retarded.
Catch2: This is on virtual hosting provider so I can access the server through ssh or vnc but not physically

How can I run fsck at boot time while the disks are umounted. Adding single to the grub linux kernel line fails to actually run fsck as the disk is mounted when server goes into rescue mode.
I've Googled and (among other suggestions) read about the systemd fsck service but am not sure this will help or really how to invoke the thing properly
Adding init=/bin/systemd fsck.mode=force fsck.repair=yes didn't seem to do much.

Well, common fsck at boot procedure I ever used was:

touch /forcefsck

Then rebooting server and waiting for it to be up. Most of the time it took several minutes due to fsck, I would wonder if trying witch systemd-fsck has taken a couple of minutes too? How are you sure that fsck is not running (asumming systemd-fsck is not working) ?

On the other hand, as somebody else has told you, you should report this issue to your hosting provider, this is more a hardware problem than a OS/software one.

Desperate for suggestions.

/Martin S
--
Martin Skjöldebrand @ Home.
*** Please use my primary mail address at the .org domain if possible ***