Re: Bizarre issue: USB 3 disconnecting and dying

On 07/20/2015 08:53 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
I don't seem to be able to string two sentences together these days.

I mean, I think Jape suggests removing the entries entirely. That's one
possibility.

I should probably be more careful in the way I word things. I meant to say that *I* won't let USB-connected storage devices (or optical disc devices) anywhere near /etc/fstab on my systems. I use pmount to handle mounting them and unmounting them. That works great for my simple personal systems, but I don't encrypt the external volumes, and I disconnect them when they are not mounted. If I need to store sensitive data externally I put it in a password-protected archive and then store it externally.

The more complex systems I used at work (retired now) don't use external physical drives and use arrangements made on SANs for data backups.

I would also suggest being sure that the UUID is correct, since you swapped
actual media:

See

https://wiki.debian.org/fstab

if you are not familiar with UUIDs and the blkid command. Otherwise, I'm
out of useful suggestions.

And this is what I should have said in my earlier post. Sorry.

I think Joel's clarification is spot on. If I were going to use fstab for handling mounting chores for external drives UUID is certainly the way I'd go.

I agreed with an end user creating his own Debian system once that labels would work as well as the UUIDs he detested the look of. He didn't understand that two external drives with the same label weren't what I meant. I was amazed. He was angry. Of course, it's also possible to mess up using UUIDs if one reassigns UUIDs. Yeah, that was this end user's next step.

I'm just as dumb as him -- just not about this particular sort of thing.

;-)

Jape