Re: Superfluous RAID member

Op Fri, 17 Jul 2015 20:34:59 -0500, schreef David Wright:

>> Also, my advice in this post applies only when the disk size is bigger
>> than 2 TiB, and 2 TB < 2 TiB.
>
> Although I was being flippant, isn't that a bit short-sighted? Currently
> a 2TB external desktop (Seagate, Staples regular price) is about $100,
> $10 more gets you 3TB. Even 5TB is only about $150. So why partition for
> a sub-2TB set of drives when it's not really economical to buy/replace
> with new drives so small. Why not plan for growth.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

It's a dedicated server and the 2 x 2 TB disks is what the server came
with. I' want to setup up this first machine with a minimal base system,
then move the services (DNS, WWW, and mail) from my old (slow) VPS system
to this server.
After that, all works well, I would like to setup a 2nd machine that acts
as a hot standbye that automatically takes over when the 1st server fails.

Regards,
Bene