Re: IP address

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 09:27:04PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2015, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
>
> >Yes but depending on how your path is set it may not simply work.
>
> NO.
>
> There ought to be no monkeying EVA with the default PATHs (for root
> and other users) created by the authors of Linux and Unix. Period.
> (Which is why the wheel group ought to be brought back in Linux.)
>
> Boy, I am one cranky SOB tonight, huh? But it seems to me that
> nobody anymore feels the need to read something "Linux for Dummies"
> before piling onto this list (and others!) in order to espouse their
> well-considered albeit bonehead opinions.

I find that a bizarre attitude.

The point of having a user-settable PATH is to monkey with it on
demand. If we didn't want that, it would be inherited from the
system default and be immutable.

Should users add /usr/sbin and /sbin to their PATHs when they
find themselves in need of using those tools often? Sure. Is it
common enough to make it the default for new users? No.

-dsr-