Re: msmtp Questions

David Wright writes:
> >         Supported authentication methods:
> >         PLAIN LOGIN
>
> I see no encryption here. I think this is why it is telling you that
> it "cannot use a secure authentication method". I wrote "You might
> want to check out port 587 but I think you'll be disappointed"
> just this morning. As I wrote there, you should try port 465.

I'd like to tell you it is working but you are right about the
port. I tried your suggestion but turned off starttls this time
as starttls turned on causes a short hang followed by a message
stating that starttls won't work.

	I freely admit I do not understand the fine details of
TLS other than it is a trust system based on certificates and
you get end-to-end encryption of the session. Here's how this
session went. I assume the text came encrypted with TLS. The
lines now have a carriage return after them. Since I piped all
output to a file, the standard error came in first.

msmtp: authentication failed (method PLAIN)
msmtp: server message: 535 Authentication failed
msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/martin/.msmtprc)
loaded system configuration file /etc/msmtprc
loaded user configuration file /home/martin/.msmtprc
using account default from /home/martin/.msmtprc
host                  = smtp.suddenlink.net
port                  = 465
timeout               = off
protocol              = smtp
domain                = localhost
auth                  = choose
user                  = martin.m@suddenlink.net
password              = *
passwordeval          = eval
ntlmdomain            = (not set)
tls                   = on
tls_starttls          = off
tls_trust_file        = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
tls_crl_file          = (not set)
tls_fingerprint       = (not set)
tls_key_file          = (not set)
tls_cert_file         = (not set)
tls_certcheck         = on
tls_force_sslv3       = off
tls_min_dh_prime_bits = (not set)
tls_priorities        = (not set)
auto_from             = off
maildomain            = (not set)
from                  = martin.m@suddenlink.net
dsn_notify            = (not set)
dsn_return            = (not set)
keepbcc               = off
logfile               = /home/martin/.msmtp.log
syslog                = LOG_MAIL
aliases               = (not set)
reading recipients from the command line
TLS certificate information:
    Owner:
        Common Name: *.suddenlink.net

snip

>From the server:

<-- 220 txofep01.suddenlink.net ESMTP server (InterMail vM.8.04.03.20 201-2389-100-164-20150330) ready Sat, 18 Jul 2015 06:45:58 -0500
--> EHLO localhost
<-- 250-txofep01.suddenlink.net
<-- 250-HELP
<-- 250-XREMOTEQUEUE
<-- 250-ETRN
<-- 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
<-- 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
<-- 250-PIPELINING
<-- 250-DSN
<-- 250-8BITMIME
<-- 250 SIZE 52428800

The password

--> AUTH PLAIN (encoded to end of line)
<-- 535 Authentication failed

	I see what msmtp means about the password. I bet the
encoded string is the base64 password you mentioned.

Anyway, thanks! I think we are inching (more like millimetering)
forward.

Martin McCormick