Re: the State of Linux Audio

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 06:15:42AM -0500, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> Joel Roth writes:
> > Hi Martin,
>
> > Pulse audio requires D-Bus, and D-Bus is the underlying RPC
> > mechanism of a large and controversial software stack
> > developed to support desktop applications.
>
> Thank you for this good and quick explanation.
>

> > Apparently pulseaudio is unable to get D-Bus services,
> > due to a dependency of the latter on X.
> >
> > So you need either to satisfy/finesse this dependency of
> > D-Bus, or disable/remove pulseaudio. I've read but not
> > tested apulse, a library that purports to presents a pulse
> > audio API to applications such as skype that require them,
> > relaying the audio to ALSA.
>
> 	It looks like pulseaudio has been the ghost in the
> basement on my system for about ten years.
>
> 	For now, I took it off completely and killed the
> process. Before the CS4236 went away, there was always a sound
> device for Card 0 and, if I had a second sound card, there was
> another sound device for the second card. It was typical to see
> /dev/dsp linked to Card 0, an actual /dev/dsp0 device and
> /dev/dsp1 for Card 1 and so on. Just for fun, I think I stuck in a
> USB sound card in addition to cards 0 and 1 and predictably got
> /dev/dsp2 plus a lot of strange audio that sounded like a bad
> tape transport due to all the sound cards trying to write to
> their little segments of memory at the same time on a 600-MHZ
> Pentium.
>
> 	Back to the present, I still had PA (pulseaudio)
> running, no official Card 0 and a USB-based Soundblaster Digi
> acting as Card 1. At least that's what aplay -l said.
>
> 	I could run mplayer and the playback was excellent but
> amixer for Card 0 only showed one control for left and right
> front volume.
>
> 	After I killed PA, mplayer said it couldn't find any
> cards as there was no /dev/dsp any more. I did however find
> /dev/dsp1 for the SBdigi so I manually forced a link with ln -s
> to link /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1. Presto! mplayer was happy again
> and played music and other audio files but the story isn't quite
> over yet.

The snd_pcm_oss kernel module, when loaded, provides
/dev/dsp for compatibility with OSS applications.

Calling mplayer with --ao=alsa should play via the default
ALSA device, and does not require /dev/dsp.

One the main benefits of pulse audio is the convenience
of having a separate volume control for each audio application.

If you don't need that, maybe you don't need PA.

I can't comment on whether PA provides any other audio
processing, however there are many other ways to
get a low-pass filter if you need one.

I refer you to the Linux Audio Users mailing list,
the authoritative source for linux audio questions.
The ArchLinux forums and wikis are also a great
resource.

Cheers,

Joel