Re: wheezy to squeeze

Steve McIntyre writes:
> martin@server1.shellworld.net
> >
> >622 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 551 not upgraded.
> >Need to get 222 MB of archives.
> >After this operation, 48.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> >Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> >
> >Needless to say, I typed n and there's where things stand now.
> >
> >The number of held-back entries is about the size of the whole
> >distribution so something is seriously wrong.
>
> What command are you using to upgrade? This looks like you're using
> "apt-get upgrade" when you need "apt-get dist-upgrade" ...

	After upgrading to wheezy, I ran apt-get update one last
time followed by apt-get upgrade and then apt-get dist-upgrade.
To complicate things, I discovered my sources.list file was
missing the line

 deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy contrib non-free

I added it and it did pickup a few more packages. I then did
upgrade with no problem and then dist-upgrade to get the wheezy
versions of anything found.

	It again worked without a complaint. It is after I
replace all occurrances of wheezy with jessie and do the update,
upgrade and dist-upgrade commands that it shows all the
held-back packages.

	I do have the original squeeze system on a drive and my
upgrade was started by copying the entire squeeze drive to this
new drive. If worse comes to worse, I could do the whole thing
over now that I have a sources.list file or better yet, I need
to find a sources.list file that is sure to have everything it
is supposed to have so this doesn't happen again.

Martin