Re: the State of Linux Audio

L'octidi 28 messidor, an CCXXIII, Mart van de Wege a écrit :
> As you said, that's your opinion. I like being able to easily switch my
> sound from speakers to a USB or Bluetooth device, for example.

There is this, which is less a matter of opinion: having the daemon just
installed, even without using it AT ALL, suffices to break direct ALSA
access. It may have been fixed, it was some time ago that I found and
diagnosed the problem, but the sheer fact that this was present in a
released mainstream project suffices to show that the authors should not be
allowed near a keyboard.

> I haven't seen Pulse-only issues in two years or so.

Well, we just had one.

> Use cases have gotten more complex. For the simplest-most use case (one
> user, static I/O config), Pulse is indeed overkill, and can be
> removed. I'd argue that the complexity it brings when installed is not
> *unneeded* complexity though.

Granted.

But PulseAudio does no do any sound by itself. On Linux, it uses ALSA; on
other OSes, it probably uses OSS. Therefore, it can only break things, it
can not get things working that could not without it.

If someone has any trouble with audio, the first reflex should be to get rid
of PulseAudio entirely and try getting it working with pure ALSA. Only when
it works with pure ALSA is there any point in considering reinstalling
PulseAudio.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George