Re: New user having trouble with new install

Jonathan Levine wrote:
On 7/11/15, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

You might want to try a live-cd {https://www.debian.org/CD/live/}.
The netinst cd is a very minimal system. I can see it "running"
when a "full" system might not. When I was looking for a distro I
purchased live-cd's
[https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/] to determine compatibility
with my hardware. [I was on dial-up so downloading was not
feasible ;]

Okay, I'll keep it in mind, and perhaps give it a try if nobody can
shed any light on the current install.  The only reason I'm reluctant
is that I'm on a satellite ISP - and a small and expensive traffic cap -
so sucking down full install CDs would presumably chew up a lot of
my allocation.  That's why I chose the small CD network install - I
figured it'd hold the download down to just what was needed.

Complete set all of 13 Jessie DVD's are available from my preferred vendor for ~$35(US), Install over dial-up being completely impractical. I've moved to a 3G/LTE ISP, choosing a 1GB/mo plan, so I will continue to purchase DVD sets.