Re: New user having trouble with new install

Jonathan Levine wrote:
On 7/10/15, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 11 July 2015 04:29:23 Jonathan Levine wrote:
I've just completed the "small cd" internet install of the current
distribution on a small-footprint pc based on the VIA EDEN ESP
6000.  I went with all the defaults and it seemed to complete
uneventfully.  However, on boot it tanks with a "microcode: no
support for this CPU vendor" error.

Which CD did you use?  Yes, I know the net install CD, but which
architecture?

Lisi

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.1.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-8.1.0-i386-netinst.iso

Seems to me that the installer wouldn't run if I'd chosen the wrong
architecture.

You might want to try a live-cd {https://www.debian.org/CD/live/}.
The netinst cd is a very minimal system. I can see it "running" when a "full" system might not. When I was looking for a distro I purchased live-cd's [https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/] to determine compatibility with my hardware. [I was on dial-up so downloading was not feasible ;]