Re: writing to an external USB3 HD

On 11/07/15 11:40 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 11/07/15 06:41 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 04:53:42 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:
Further to the issue, the problem is triggered by reading from the disk. I can copy files onto the disk without problems but when I issue the cmp command to compare the copy to the original, I get system error messages
and the drive vanishes.

This doesn't happen immediately. It seems to after some significant file
i/o. Interestingly, I've gotten i/o error messages on files that, after
a reboot (remote system so I can't unplug and replug the drive), compare
OK. This leads me to think it's not a disk problem. Also smartctl -H
says the disk is healthy.
This might be related to the problems with USB disks Bob Proulx
described back in April, you can find the posting here:

You could also run a selftest on the disk with smartctl to see what
that says. Check the "-t" option in the man page for details.

Petter
- I ran the long test and -H still reports no problems with the disk. The output is:

root@molar:/home/garydale# smartctl -t long /dev/sde
smartctl 6.4 2014-10-07 r4002 [x86_64-linux-3.16.0-4-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
Sending command: "Execute SMART Extended self-test routine immediately in off-line mode". Drive command "Execute SMART Extended self-test routine immediately in off-line mode" successful.
Testing has begun.
Please wait 209 minutes for test to complete.
Test will complete after Sat Jul 11 08:19:48 2015

Use smartctl -X to abort test.
root@molar:/home/garydale# smartctl -H /dev/sde
smartctl 6.4 2014-10-07 r4002 [x86_64-linux-3.16.0-4-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Status not supported: Incomplete response, ATA output registers missing
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Warning: This result is based on an Attribute check.

- The disks are usually swapped every week so no disk is mounted for months on end. In this case, the disks are new to accommodate an increased amount of data to be backed up, so I am positive that no disk has been plugged in for more than a week. The offsite backup script has been running flawlessly for a long time with smaller disks plugged into a USB2 port (on a different motherboard).

- The largest files are 25G, the maximum size set for my bacula volumes.

- I have done a reformat on the drive, both a quick one and a full one. The problem persists.

- I'm doubtful that ionice would help. This would be about the only active process on the system which is otherwise idle at the time the script is run. Even with ionice set to idle, it shouldn't have any impact. I can try a combo of nice and ionice to see if it's a speed issue once the office closes.

trying with both nice and ionice had no effect.  :(