Re: writing to an external USB3 HD

On 10/07/15 02:33 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
I'm running a Debian/Jessie server whose main purposes are AD DC, file & print and backups. I have just switched to using USB3 WD My Passport Ultra 1T external USB3 drives for offsite backups.

The motherboard is an AS Rock 970 Extreme 2. I'm using an onboard rear-panel USB3 port to plug in the drive. The latest files are copied using rsync followed by a file by file cmp to ensure the files copied correctly. I retry the rsync if the cmp fails on a file (past experience has taught me that rsync doesn't always leave a usable copy).

Unfortunately the backup fails with these messages below. I think the vast majority of them are due to the error at 13:37:57. Any ideas on whether this is a drive issue, a motherboard issue or a driver issue?

<snip>

Further to the issue, the problem is triggered by reading from the disk. I can copy files onto the disk without problems but when I issue the cmp command to compare the copy to the original, I get system error messages and the drive vanishes.

This doesn't happen immediately. It seems to after some significant file i/o. Interestingly, I've gotten i/o error messages on files that, after a reboot (remote system so I can't unplug and replug the drive), compare OK. This leads me to think it's not a disk problem. Also smartctl -H says the disk is healthy.

Any ideas?