Re: GRUB error: failure reading sector

On 11/07/15 12:10 PM, Haines Brown wrote:
I am running Sid on a Thinkpad x250, and decided to create a rescue USB
key by using grub-rescue-pc package.

On a 1 Gb unmounted Ex3 key, which is /dev/sdb, I do

   # cp /usr/lib/grub-rescue-pc/grub-rescue-usb.img /dev/sdb
   this takes a while.

When I boot to key, I get "GRUB" in upper left corner and a long wait
during which the key LED flashes. After a while I get:

   GRUB error: failure reading sector 0x48c from 'hd0'
   Entering rescue mode
   grub rescue>

I suspect hd0 refers to the key and GRUB can't find its own grub
folder. I don't know how to proceed.

Please don't hijack threads. If you want to start a new one, create a new message to the list. Do not reply to an existing message and change the subject. That doesn't create a new thread.