Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

Maybe it's me; I'm not as spry as I used to be, but I am having difficulty following you.

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Martin G. McCormick wrote:

dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'

That looks fine to me, if the syntax for specifying a port is correct for exim (I simply don't know one way or t'other.)

When registering a user ID on Suddenlink's email gateway, I had to pick a slightly different version of the user name than is on the sending system because martin@suddenlink.net was already taken.

What is the "slightly different version" of your username, and why isn't exim using it?

The prepending of the local UID is autimatically done so one can enter only the fqdn of the smarthost.

I don't see there is any connection between the fqdn of your smarthost -- which exim needs in order to know _where_ the desired smarthost lives -- and whatever is going on with your username(s). The smarthost provided by your DSL provider (iirc, you said it's DSL, yes?) should accept whatever you send it, since you are both on the same wire. (h/t David)

I'm sorry I can't see through to the bottom of things. No doubt one of the younger and less tired brains around here can!

All best,

--
I am not a loony.  Why should I be tarred with the epithet
'loony' merely because I have a pet halibut?  I've heard